Grilled Hasselback Potatoes
Prep: 20 minutes plus standing
Grill: 50 minutes • Serves: 4
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup fresh sliced chives plus additional for garnish (optional)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 medium russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
Sour cream and/or chopped cooked bacon for serving (optional)
1. Prepare outdoor grill for indirect grilling over medium-high heat; line rimmed baking pan with paper towel. Tear 4 (12 x 24-inch) sheets heavy-duty aluminum foil.
2. In medium bowl, stir garlic, cheese, butter, chives, salt and pepper. Makes about 2/3 cup.
3. Cut about 1/4-inch off both sides of each potato; leaving about 1/4-inch intact on bottoms of potatoes, cut potatoes crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Gently separating slices, carefully rinse potatoes under cold water; drain, place upside down on prepared pan and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Place potatoes, cut side up, in center of foil sheets; brush outside of potatoes and between slices with garlic mixture. Tightly wrap potatoes in foil with sealed side over sliced sides of potatoes. Place potatoes, sealed side up, on hot grill rack over unlit side of grill; cover and cook 50 minutes. During last 10 minutes of cooking, carefully open top of foil to expose cut sides of potatoes; cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Makes 4 potatoes.
5. Serve potatoes topped with sour cream sprinkled with bacon and chives, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 potato):
404 Calories, 26g Fat, 16g Saturated Fat, 70mg Cholesterol, 674mg Sodium,
38g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 1g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 8g Protein